VincentCare welcomes people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, queer and gender diverse.
VincentCare offers caring and tailored services that are inclusive of LGBTIQ+ people and which embrace diversity. Whatever your gender or sexual preferences, you will receive safe and respectful quality care. We are committed to working with you to understand your diverse needs and strengths.
VincentCare is a specialist accommodation and homelessness support service for people who are experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless.
We can support you with:
- Finding crisis accommodation
- Working towards sustainable housing
- Referral to other LGBTIQ-friendly services
- Information about additional supports or peer groups
- Addressing mental health, alcohol or other drug issues, general health or family violence.
Community drop-in services:
- Showers and laundry
- Housing support
- General healthcare
- Mental health services
- Drug and alcohol counselling
- Support for financial hardship
- Education and training opportunities
What you might be experiencing
We understand that our LGBTIQ+ clients may be facing additional challenges. You are not alone in your struggle. LGBTIQ+ people are often over-represented in the homeless population. We’re here to help you.
Some common struggles:
- Personal crises requiring immediate support
- Trauma from various negative life experiences or events
- Anxiety, depression or other mental ill health
- Family violence or other forms of violence and abuse
- Stigma, discrimination or rejection by family, peers or others
- Substance abuse – issues with alcohol or drugs
- Thoughts of self-harm or feelings of suicide
- Concerns about how you will be treated by service providers
- Not knowing how to broach the subject of your gender or sexuality with service providers
If you are experiencing any of these, we can help. The right mix of support and services will be found to support you.
Celebrating people in all their diversity
VincentCare provides services that are respectful, inclusive and tailored to individual needs. Our staff are well-informed and sensitive to the lived experience of LGBTIQ+ people, and they understand the complexities and challenges LGBTIQ+ people face when accessing services.
We recognise that our LGBTIQ+ clients might need different supports to our other clients. A ‘treat everyone the same’ approach sounds nice, but doesn’t always work. We will work with you to find an approach that fits.
– Fiona Pole, Case Manager working with LGBTIQ+ clients.
What you can expect from our staff:
- Personalised care to address your accommodation needs and wrap-around supports
- Understanding that each individual and situation is unique
- Recognition of the challenges you may be facing as a person who is LGBTIQ+
- Respectful support that maintains your dignity and personal autonomy
- Optional open discussion about gender identification or sexual orientation, including preferences around pronouns and other language
- Connection or referral to other care providers or services that are LGBTIQ+ friendly.