Home Care Packages
Assisting older people to remain living at home longer and providing choice and flexibility in the way that care and support is provided at home.
What are Home Care Packages?
The Home Care Packages program is a government-subsidised program that provides long-term support for older people who want to stay living at home. The client must first apply for a package and then choose from a list of providers. The services available and fees will vary from provider to provider.
Who can apply for a Home Care Package?
There is no minimum age requirement but Home Care Packages are mostly for elderly Australians. In some cases, younger people with disabilities, dementia or special care needs may be able to access a Home Care Package if they have been assessed and approved by an Aged Care Assessment Team; and if a provider is able to offer an appropriate package for the person.
What Home Care Packages are available through VincentCare?
VincentCare currently operates more than 170 Home Care Packages throughout metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria including:
- Domestic assistance: cleaning, shopping assistance, assistance to pay bills
- Personal care: assistance with showers and dressing, might be ongoing or post hospital admission
- Community transport: to health care appointments, social activities
- Health care assistance: blister packs, dispensing and supervision via nursing service
There are four levels of Home Care Packages:
- Level 1 – people with basic support needs
- Level 2 – people with low level care needs
- Level 3 – people with intermediate care needs
- Level 4 – people with high care needs
How to apply for a Home Care Package
- Visit MyAgedCare.gov.au for an eligibility assessment.
- Wait to receive a letter advising the outcome of your assessment.
- Wait to receive a letter and be assigned a Home Care Package. This letter will include your unique referral code and the date that you must enter into a Home Care Agreement to prevent your package being withdrawn.
- Visit MyAgedCare.gov.au and search for a Home Care Package provider (such as VincentCare) and work out the costs.
- Enter into a Home Care Agreement.
- Manage your services.